Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Through a child's eyes

I gave my daughter an assignment from  Gail Carson Levine's book "Writing Magic." After writing half a sentence, she is devouring my name book in search for the perfect names for characters that don't exist. I'm wondering how long this will occupy her. I did this partly to help her work on penmanship and spelling and partly to awaken her realization that she doesn't have to watch or read someone else's stories, but can take part of the creative process in the world. 

I read her the writing prompt and made suggestions to make it her own. I sat listening to her ramble off ideas as they came to her head, watching her eyes sparkle as they appeared. This will be her second story this week. The first one was about a dolphin who lived in the wreck of a red ship. I am fascinated how her young mind runs with ideas that I may censor as not being "believable" and find it refreshing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment